Pohnpei Student Wins in International "Nutrition for Health" Drawing Contest
By Dr. Lois Englberger
Mayleen Ohry, 11 years old, Class 5 in Mand Elementary School, has been awarded a prize in the international "Nutrition for Health" drawing contest organized by Sight and Life, a humanitarian initiative of DSM Nutritional Products, based in Switzerland. The drawing was presented on page 58 in Issue 3/2006 of the Sight and Life Magazine, along with the drawings of 24 other winners from countries around the world, including the Philippines, India, Sri Lanka, and Burundi, Africa.
Mayleen's entry was a colorful presentation of two sets of foods. These were the "Foods to Eat", including breadfruit, banana, fish, mango, pandanus, and pineapple, and "Foods Not to Eat" including soda, ramen, koolaid, sausage, cake, ice cream and candy.
Dr. Klaus Kraemer, Secretary General of Sight and Life, announced the drawing contest during his visit to Pohnpei in April 2006. He met with Mr. Kun Isaac of the Pohnpei Department of Education, who assisted publicizing the competition locally. The Island Food Community of Pohnpei facilitated the selection of final entries and submission to Sight and Life. Prizes included drawing pens and backpack bags, including enough for all those in the class.
The Island Food Community of Pohnpei congratulates Mayleen Ohry of Mand Elementary School and warmly thanks Sight and Life for the opportunity of this drawing contest.
Recipe of the Week: Breadfruit and Fish Curry
- 2 cups raw mature breadfruit, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1-2 teaspoons curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper and chili, optional
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup pumpkin, chopped
- 2 cups green leafy vegetables
- 1 cup chopped vegetables, such as eggplant, carrot or tomato, optional
- 1 cup fresh or canned tuna or mackerel
- 1-2 teaspoons lime or other citrus juice
- Heat oil and lightly cook onion and garlic for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the fish and lime or other citrus juice.
- When the breadfruit and vegetables are cooked, add the fish and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, just until cooked.
- Add the lime or citrus juice shortly before serving.
Recipe taken from the SPC Pacific Food Leaflet no. 3. website: www.spc.int/lifestyle/